Chancellor of the exchequer Philip Hammond has discussed the state of the UK economy and government plans in today’s Spring Statement (13th March).
Mr Hammond provided an update on the overall health of the economy and the Office for Budget Responsibility’s (OBR) forecasts.
The key points in the Spring Statement with regard to property included:
• £717m from the £5.5bn housing infrastructure fund to unlock up to 37,000 homes at sites including Old Oak Common in London, the Oxford-Cambridge arc and Cheshire
• the publication of a consultation on infrastructure finance, seeking views on how the government can best support private infrastructure investment
• reiterating the government’s commitment to publishing a comprehensive national infrastructure strategy
• the delivery of around 30,000 affordable homes via the government’s Affordable Homes Guarantee scheme
• the commitment of up to £260m for the Borderlands Growth Deal which, on top of the £102m announced recently for Carlisle from the housing infrastructure fund, means up to £362m of UK government funding into the Borderlands area
• the introduction of a Future Homes Standard by 2025, so that new-build homes are future-proofed with low-carbon heating and world-leading levels of energy efficiency
• confirmation that the government will hold a spending review which will conclude alongside the Budget.
Temenos partners with ClearBank for cloud payments
Banking software company Temenos has formed a strategic relationship with ClearBank to provide banks with a faster route to market for real-time cloud payments...
Unity Trust Bank registers 34% rise in profits
Unity Trust Bank increased profits by 34% in 2019...
Believe the hype – why explainable AI is a trend that’s here to stay
Technology has become a ubiquitous part of our day-to-day lives...
Piloting tech updates: ‘The bigger the bank, the harder it is to get anything done’
In the latest Medianett filmed roundtable session, we discussed how important technology is in the banking space, and what impact the industry expects it to have on its businesses in the future...
What banks need to know about cloud security
One of the most common perceived concerns when adopting the cloud is the issue of security...
OakNorth sees 95% increase in pre-tax profits
OakNorth Bank has announced a 95% rise in pre-tax profits in 2019 to £65.9m, up from the £33.9m recorded in 2018...
Redwood Bank signs up to Women in Finance Charter
Redwood Bank has announced that it has signed up to the Women in Finance (WIF) Charter...
Masthaven launches digital Women in Leadership programme
Masthaven Bank has launched a new Women in Leadership digital development programme for female senior leaders...
Protecting against supply chain disruption and the domino effect
Disappointingly, many UK SME business owners don’t understand their supply chains...
Confused about which Isa to choose? Hopefully this mini-guide will help…
We are now firmly in Isa season, so you’re likely to read multiple articles about the most competitive Isa products in the market and how best to make the most of your Isa allowance before the end of the tax year...
Garden shed entrepreneurs contribute £16.6bn to the UK economy
Entrepreneurs who run their businesses from garden sheds contribute £16.6bn annually to the UK economy, according to a recent study...